1st Time raising Broilers for Freezer

LoVecchioClan

Hatching
11 Years
Jul 31, 2008
Hi All,
OK, I have finally decided to allow my four young boys (9,5,3,&1) to raise broilers for the freezer. I figured, it's only 7-8 weeks and shouldn't cost too much, I hope. Here's the catch though-I have a coop (someone has graciously donated) but I don't know what else to do to start. I guess I need to order the day olds from a feed & grain shop and bring them home-when should I order them? I gather I need a small box with shavings, water, and starter feed with a light bulb. Any recommendations as to a auto water/feeder or don't bother where it's only for 2 months? What type of starter is better? Any help would be great. I am somewhat handy with making things and willing to learn and figured I'd ask the experts. P.S. I live in NH, it was only -2 this am, so I need to take that into consideration too when it's time to move them out of my garage to the coop. (Dad is not happy about losing his warm parking spot but I told him it will be worth it when we taste the difference;)!)...

There is a forum under 'Meat Birds ETC', you may find some information you need there. I live in MA. Last night, I had to put a portable heater and two heating lamps in the coop for my 20 pullets.

Definately check out meat birds forum. Ordering now, you still won't get them till probably may.... Most everyone was at midapril last week and it went from early march to mid april overnight, so you better make a decision fast
tongue.png

One of the biggest issues this time of year will be to keep them warm while they feather out. Along with shipping to northern climates this time of year.

The second issue is that they grow very fast compared to other chickens, So you have to be ready with your housing much quicker then other chickens.

Waiting till it warmer outside will reduce the cost to keep them warm. But they may not get along with to much heat. Last year we got one April 15 but didn't butcher till the end of the summer. The one had some trouble with the heat , but the temps here were near 100. He was about 9 lbs dressed when we finally butchered him. We had him longer then the typical 8 to 10 weeks.

There will be a lot of advice in this forum, just search for cornish-x or meaties.

PS. we just picked up 26 last night at the local farm store.

Tom

Thanks all,
We finally decided to order 50 cornish rocks. I can get them in two weeks if I order today for 1.45 each. Is it better to order them on line or from our local grainstore? The coop is 8x10 and I figured being still cold up here that I'd just keep them a little longer in the garage with light and heat and then move towards end to coop, just not sure about the smell factor....... hummm....

Quote:
Ugh.... don't tell me that..... I've got two 5x5 bins I was planning on keeping 25 in.... one to start then splitting them as they get larger, I'm sure they will make themselves at home outside of the bins as they get bigger, but you really don't think that's enough space?

Quote:
If you have space to let them out of the coop as they feather out and grow bigger the 8x10 should work. They don't roam around like layers.....they stay very close to food and water.

Get ready for the stink factor. By the time they're ready for culling the poop will be like a small dog. It's not for the faint of heart. You won't want it too close to the house if the weather is warm.....or maybe even if it's not warm.

I did it last year and have more right now. They are delicious and they should have at least 21% feed. Some give 28% wild game feed. I think you can get a broiler feed but I've never been able to find it here.

They grow fast but don't feather out as fast as a layer so they will need warmth for quite a while.

If there's a farm store that sells them it's easier than usps. I'm sure cost is a factor too.

Good Luck

Back
Top Bottom