1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. PeterSimeone

PeterSimeone New Egg

Jun 19, 2011
    So im new to the whole back yard chicken thang... ive done what seems like a mountain of research but have one question before i begin coop construction... How high and far off the wall should i mount the roost? How much head room?

Thanks!

2. M.sue

M.sue Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2011
    Michigan
    You can mount the roost as high as you want it but it is best to have a few at different heights. My chicks use all 3 roosts I have in mine.
    As for how far off the wall, I think mine are about a foot and a half away. Just make you space it far enough away cause the chickens will turn around and fight for spots when settling in. Mine do at least.

3. cashdl

cashdl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2008
    Willits
    I have mine set at 2' from floor 4' from wall then the next one is 3' from floor and 3' from wall, the last one is 4' from floor and 2' from wall. They all like the taller ones but the smaller birds can get to the taller roosts by way of the shorter roost first. almost like a ladder.

Hope that made sense.

Lanae

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by