2 1/2 week old Barred Rock UPDATED PICS

Looks like a pullet to me so far. Cockerels appear lighter in color and would have larger legs. You'll know for certain in 3 weeks. The cockerels will start gaining pink color to the combs then. In first week the signs are the shape of head spot and size of legs and if legs have a dark wash on front.

Or, it's a single factor barred cockerel. It's really too early to say which, unless you know for sure it came from two pure BR parents, then I'd say pullet. I've had quite a bit of experience of late with those not so normal barred cockerels and they look almost identical to a BR pullet at that age, except you get a larger pink comb early on to signify male. A regular Barred Rock male carries two barring genes, making him appear lighter in color than the pullet, but not with the single barred male. Where did you get it?

Last edited:
Or, it's a single factor barred cockerel. It's really too early to say which, unless you know for sure it came from two pure BR parents, then I'd say pullet. I've had quite a bit of experience of late with those not so normal barred cockerels and they look almost identical to a BR pullet at that age, except you get a larger pink comb early on to signify male. A regular Barred Rock male carries two barring genes, making him appear lighter in color than the pullet, but not with the single barred male. Where did you get it?
I hatched it myself. I got the egg from a friend that keeps her breeds penned up separately so i dont think its mixed.

Back
Top Bottom