2/3 chickens killed, what to do next?

Elohel123

Hatching
May 13, 2018
Hi,
I'm posting on behalf of my parents and really in need of some advice. Sorry if this is the wrong forum, wasn't sure where to post!

Tonight a fox sadly got into my parents chicken coop and took 2, one was found near the coop and the other is missing so we're assuming the fox has taken her. We don't think the 3rd is injured but she's very frightened and shaken up. My parents want to replace the lost ones but aren't sure how quickly to do so or how they should do it? They're hoping to get some new chickens tomorrow. We don't want to stress out the remaining chicken but we also don't want her to be alone and scared.

These are the first chickens we've ever had killed by foxes so it's pretty traumatic for us at the moment, the scene was brutal so how can we copewith the loss of our fury babies?

Any and all advice would be so great, we aren't sure how to move forward with this. Again sorry if this is the wrong place!

The most important thing to do before adding any new chickens is to fox proof the coop so the fox doesn't get to the remaining chicken or any new ones you add.

Sorry for your loss

Greetings Elohel123,

This is an emergency, so yes, you have posted in the right place.

First I am so very sorry for your loss. It is extremely traumatizing for the keepers when a predator kills one of the flock. It's even worse when one is missing after the attack.

The surviving hen is also traumatized. She'll need some time to calm down from the ordeal. In the days to come she may also go into grief, over the loss of her pen mates. She may not eat as much, stop laying, and become lethargic.

Before getting more chickens, there are some things that you need to consider. The security of the pen and coop must be corrected. The fox now knows, where to come for food. It will be back, perhaps, even tonight. The safety of the surviving hen is also at risk.

Next, even though you only have one hen left, it may seem pointless to practice bio security, by quarantining the new chickens. But, that is still a good idea, here's why. If you can put the new hens, in an adjacent pen so that your hen can see them, it will be easier on her when they become part of her new flock. Integration is still a process that must happen. There will be a new pecking order, and the surviving hen may or may not be on the top.

Try to manage this tragedy in a way that is the least stressful for the surviving hen.

These are my thoughts on your situation. Other members will offer advice please consider them too, as, every keeper has their own way of handling these situations.

God Bless :hugs

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom