2.5 day old chicks...are quiet...too quiet?

Sarah47201

In the Brooder
Sep 3, 2017
I picked up my chicks about 24 hours ago and they were very vocal. They've been in the brooder all day, eating, drinking, getting their leg bands removed and under the warmer...but tonight they have been silent. I keep checking on them thinking something is wrong. Am I just being paranoid?!? Is it normal for them to quiet down once they've had time to settle in? My last hatch was noisy all day long so I think that's why I'm so worried.

Here's a photo...I may just be driving myself crazy because they are so quiet.

Attachments

• 20180118_223926.jpg
    20180118_223926.jpg
    480.1 KB · Views: 152
Chicks tend to peep when something is wrong. A change of home would've thrown them a bit so they would've been a bit worried, plus wondering where their buddies went if some were left behind, calling for them. They look pretty relaxed and happy in your photo so looks like they've settled in. As long as they have times when they are active and eating, and times when they are snoozing they should be fine.

It's just like being a first time parent! You'll worry about everything! :lol:

Aww, they are so CUTE! They're sleeping & from the look of it, you're warming them with a heating pad? IF so you'll find they are alot quieter. calm & not so skittish. I used to use a heat lamp, when I switched to the MHP they learned the difference with night & day. They were alot quieter with MHP than lamp. You're doing great, enjoy & :welcome

Back
Top Bottom