2.5 mo pullet picked on

ssferret

Songster
Apr 13, 2020
Knoxville, MD
I only had 3 brahma chicks hatch after incubation with two turning out to be cockerels. At 6 weeks the boys had already start fighting with one having had feathers pulled out. Since I had one cockerel and one pullet that did great together last year, I went ahead and gave one of the cockerels away.

Now the pullet and the remaining cockerel are 2.5 mo old and he's started to terrorize her. I don't know what to do. If I remove him she'll be alone and if I keep him with her she will continue to huddle in a corner.

I'm concerned with introducing her to the adults (10 hens and 1 rooster) since she is still a lot smaller than the other brahma. Has anyone successfully introduced such a young pullet to an adult flock alone and had success?

Last edited:
You could let some of your chickens at the rooster a bit to teach him his not the boss, my silkie rooster was aggressive with all other chickens, but the second my big birds came out and gave him a good peck. he is a sweet as can be and very polite

Thanks. That's definitely worth a try. Come to think of it, I had put a hen (who needed some time out to grow some feathers back) with my 2 chicks from last year when they were about the same age. Maybe that's why I didn't have much of an issue with those 2.

Back
Top Bottom