2 aggresive quails in group of 3. Help!

KranK

Songster
Jul 13, 2020
Poland
Hello
I had 3 hens and one roo.
One quail started going mad and pecking the rest so i isolated her near the trio so they can see each other. Then the rooster got suddenly sick and died.
The two quail hens were okay and tolerated each other but suddenly i saw the bigger one pecking the other when she tried to enter sandbath. The next day was the same and next day she was running after her and kept pecking her. I wanted to put the bully to already isolated hen at least for the night but they immediatelly started fighting so i took the bully and isolated her.
I don't want these quails to be alone if there is a solution :(
I thought about isolating the bully for a few days and then to try to move all 3 into one cage like it used to be back then.
Do you guys have any idea how to help me?
PS. the cage wasn't small. Some people claimed that i could fit 5-6 inside. They have sandbaths, quail feed and water.

You say that your cage is large enough, but what are the dimensions? Do they have hiding places? Do you have pictures of your setup?

I would take them both out, clean and rearrange their cage. Put them both back in, the aggressive one last. That may help. If it doesn't, you might think about trading your aggressive hen for another hen.

You say that your cage is large enough, but what are the dimensions? Do they have hiding places? Do you have pictures of your setup?

I would take them both out, clean and rearrange their cage. Put them both back in, the aggressive one last. That may help. If it doesn't, you might think about trading your aggressive hen for another hen.
1631635693298.png
That's the cage where 2 hens were. Near the "open" front wall are water and food and behind the closed part on right is a tray with sand. I noticed that the bully wastes so much sand. Since she is isolated, there is a lot of sand and when she was inside, one day after giving them sand, the tray was almost empty. I gave then a tree branch once but they were scared of it. There is also straw bedding.

Do they have places to hide in there? That will help. You can use baskets, boxes, planters, just about anything.

That looks large enough for 2-3 quail, but I wouldn't put 5-6 in there. The general rule is at least 1 square foot per bird.

Back
Top Bottom