2 candle questions

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by morgakl2, Aug 15, 2011.

1. morgakl2

morgakl2 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2011
    Question 1:
    I just candled the eggs that are on Day 24. Only 2/9 are mostly dark. Is that mostly darkness bacteria or a chick? The others looked like they quit a long time ago.

Question:
    I just candled my first even shipped eggs on Day 7. I was hoping to see veins are a little dark spot. All 8 of them look like the 52 hour picture on the candle thread. Either I suck at candling, or I suck at incubating eggs. Should I let my students disect these eggs on Wednesday or keeping hoping?

2. petchickenlover

petchickenlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    Quote:I'd keep those two in the 'bator just in case. What have your temps. been?

3. morgakl2

Jul 24, 2011
    a wide range btw 97-102. I should have bought a better incubator than the LG still air from TSC.

4. AZBootsie

AZBootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    Mostly dark egg usually means the chick is filling up the egg. Doesn't mean it is alive though. You could try the float test and look for movement on the 2 that developed. With a temp range like that you could have some late pippers?? The other eggs sound dead or never developed to me.

I think the 7 day old eggs may still have a chance. Hate to have your kids open an egg to find they have killed an embryo.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  5. morgakl2

Jul 24, 2011
    I've never heard of the float test. Could you please explain? THANKS in advance.

6. WooingWyandotte

WooingWyandotte Overrun With Chickens

Apr 25, 2011
    Nor cal
    Float test is what people do to check to see if the egg is fresh. I don't know what this has to do with incubating eggs, but who cares your learning another thing, eh? [​IMG] You get a pot full of water then you set your eggs in the water. If they sink they rotten. If they float they're good. How you apply that knowledge to incubating I don't know. Hopefully someone who's done it will help.

7. AZBootsie

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    I am sorry....no nothing to do with checking for rotten or good. The eggs will float in the water. Wait until the water is still and if the chick inside the egg moves, the water will make ripples, and you know the chick is alive. Just easy to see movement when the egg is floating in water.

8. AZBootsie

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    Smell the egg and make sure it is not rotten. Use inc temp water. Check for pips first....don't want to drown the critter if he pipped already. Search the forum for float test, you can probably find a much better tutorial.

9. morgakl2

Jul 24, 2011
    This may sound stupid, but what does a rotten egg smell like? Soured towels or sulfur like at a paper factory? thanks for your help by the way [​IMG]

10. farmgirlforever18

farmgirlforever18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2010
    Dublin TEXAS
    Like nothing youÂ’ve ever smelled before almost like rotten milk but worse [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by