2 Chicken Coops in 1 Weekend

One concern I would have is from what I can see, it looks like you screwed the sides into the ends directly (going into the "end grain" of the plywood) ... A 2X4 ripped in half lengthwise could make 2X2's and give your screws more "meat" to hold the corners together better ... And last much longer.

Probably the same on the bottom to sides too, I can't see that ...

It is not glued. I do not intend on moving it.

I used a fair number of fairly large and long screws. I think that it will hold out.

However, I agree that it would have been better to screw into 2x2s at each of the joints.

Thanks for the nice comments everyone.

Again, the concept is to create a fairly simple, easy to assemble and functional design that can be constructed in a weekend.
While I did not actually do it over one weekend, I did it over two days.

The second day took about 8 hours. I did not subtracted my lunch and dinner time on either day. As well, the second day included painting and varnishing, which required some wait time while coats dried.

As well, I did the ramp on the third day. As well, I would like to do 2 more coats of varnish on the roof. I ran out of varnish and it rained on the third day.

Added on edit: The nesting boxes have not been done either. But they will not take too much time.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom