2 chickens in flock with closed eye with "dot" on lens

tjs22

Chirping
Mar 2, 2016
A week ago I noticed a rir hen (21 weeks old) had a closed eye. The lid was not swollen. When I looked at the eye I noticed a small dot on the lens of the eye over the pupil. It was gray. I thought maybe someone pecked her eye.
Today I noticed another hen (same age/breed) with her one eye closed. Opened it to check and yup, same exact thing!!
It must be irritating since they are closing them..any ideas??
Some background, my flock has some sort of respiratory thing going on. They have been showing symptoms for about 4 weeks now. Nothing severe so far (minus 1 who bounced back with tylan50, she was starting to have breathing problems). Just some congestion and some sneezing. I treated the whole flock with an antibiotic, terra-vet 10. It has been 8 days since their last treatment. The antibiotic didn't seem to help, so I'm assuming it's viral and letting the birds do their thing, They are still active and laying eating drinking. Wondering if that had anything to do with it?
Also their eggs have gotten smashed in the compost, but I caught the stinkers eating them. I read something about protein spots in the eyes? I really have no idea.. to much protein from eating eggs?

Thanks I will get some Neosporin. I looked today and the eye had some thick clear fluid in it. And I could tell she has been scratching at.

Back
Top Bottom