2 chickens looking unwell

Dazed and Confused

In the Brooder
Aug 19, 2021
Hi everyone, we have 2 chickens not looking well. 1 chicken seems to have recoiled it neck, when you make it move she shuffles around with here neck back - see picture.

The other chickens wing dropped a week or so ago, it’s now finding itself tripping over its wing with its foot, making movement difficult - otherwise acts well enough.

Any ideas?
D2F034AA-67CF-41C1-8410-58C99DBD4459.jpeg
17E8F40A-85D4-45AE-8773-19E491492B6A.jpeg

do a thread subject search for wry neck for the 1st. No idea re #2. Hopefully you have isolated both of them from the rest of the flock ASAP - the fact you have more than 1 sick means it could be something that spreads.

do a thread subject search for wry neck for the 1st. No idea re #2. Hopefully you have isolated both of them from the rest of the flock ASAP - the fact you have more than 1 sick means it could be something that spreads.
Thanks and yes, have tried my best to isolate both

The first hen above may have wry neck, but can you feel of the left from of the neck and tell us if there is air under the skin, or if it is solid? Wry neck can be a neurological symptom of vitamin deficiency, head or neck injury, and can be seen in some diseases including Mareks disease and a few others.

The second hen might have a wing injury or possibly a neurological symptom of Mareks disease. Is the leg weak or foot paralyzed? Have they been fighting or injured? Are they acting normally, active, eating and drinking? And were they vaccinated for Mareks disease? Hopefully, it is not Mareks, but I would watch them. Do you have other chickens that may try and hurt them when they are having those symptoms?

The first hen above may have wry neck, but can you feel of the left from of the neck and tell us if there is air under the skin, or if it is solid? Wry neck can be a neurological symptom of vitamin deficiency, head or neck injury, and can be seen in some diseases including Mareks disease and a few others.

The second hen might have a wing injury or possibly a neurological symptom of Mareks disease. Is the leg weak or foot paralyzed? Have they been fighting or injured? Are they acting normally, active, eating and drinking? And were they vaccinated for Mareks disease? Hopefully, it is not Mareks, but I would watch them. Do you have other chickens that may try and hurt them when they are having those symptoms?
Thanks for this feedback, apologies for the delayed response, ive been bed bound with Covid, but im back up and running now.

We lost 2 hens last year who were paralysed in one foot, i suspected that was Mareks. it hasnt reared its head since then and i was hopeful it had gone but perhaps not. no, our flock are not vaccinated.

Back
Top Bottom