2 chickens not getting along

birdywingz

In the Brooder
Dec 27, 2020
Hi guys! Maybe I was supposed to put this under “managing your flock” but it’s only 2 hens so I thought it was ok here. Sorry if it’s not. Anyways, I’ve had 1 hen (Cider) for a while and she often stays in the house with me, she’s pretty nice and sweet. About 5 days ago we rescued another hen, and they aren’t getting along.
I’ve read another thread where I should just let them squabble and fight it out for a minute but.. they have been fighting whenever they see each other. It mainly goes like this: my original hen, Cider, crouches and goes up to her, then bites her on the comb/beak. Then my new hen Matilda does the same. They’ve both gotten cuts with a bit of blood on their comb. I try to separate them every time so they don’t get more hurt. I’m just really scared of letting them hurt each other more, like pecking each other in the eye or something.
Any other advice? Ive been trying to keep them together, but separate at the same time so they can still see each other. Thanks!

Don't know what your set-up is like, but could you have them in the same run/enclosure with a divide between them? Might be best if you use the 'see no touch' approach for a little while to get them used to each other.
Also can use distraction, but sounds like they are beyond that at the minute.
Good luck :)
Yeah I can try that! Thanks for answering.

Introducing new flock members goes way better if you move slow! My favorite way is a big wire dog crate inside the main coop so they can see each other but not hurt each other. Take it slow and it'll be alright. Some sqwabbling is normal as they establish a pecking order but you don't want anyone to really get hurt
Alright thanks! I do have a dog crate I can use for that :ya

Back
Top Bottom