2 Chickens Piling on Top of Each Other in Same Laying Box

Ana Robin

Songster
8 Years
Apr 29, 2014
Morning, all! Couple of questions. We discovered a pecking Issue with a couple of hens and dealt with it, however, the 2 that were getting picked on continue to sleep in one of the laying boxes (pile on top of each other) since the 2 known bullies were culled. The egg laying has come to a slow crawl (in all fairness, the flock has not molted yet and we've had them for over a year AND it's been hot). That said, is the damage done? Is it time to start thinking about a new flock... again? We've learned our lesson about multiple breeds. That said, is it possible to have 2 breeds live harmoniously together? We were thinking our next round would be Welsummers and Cinnamon Queens but we'd like to keep our current flock, if possible. 4 different breeds now. Blue Eggers, Speckleds, Brahmas and Wyandottes. The Speckleds and Eggers are the ones causing problems and who knows if there is still bullying occurring. Advise would be appreciated!

I would spend some time just observing the flock to see if there is any more bullying going on and that would at least answer that problem.

I have a mixed flock of 4 breeds and they do fine together, some squabbles but flock together so yes, two or more breeds can live together-not always the breeds but just the chicken (kinda like people)!

My guess on the two sleeping in the nesting box, this is just become habit but it is possible they are getting some pecking at roosting time so that the dominant hens can get their places (the best places!). I would either move them after they have all roosted at night, with some space form the others but together if possible. And/or block of the nesting boxes before they head to roost and then uncover in the morning, if you have ones that are laying (which based on age I assume you do). It might take a few weeks but they will learn/re-learn where they need to roost.

I would spend some time just observing the flock to see if there is any more bullying going on and that would at least answer that problem.

I have a mixed flock of 4 breeds and they do fine together, some squabbles but flock together so yes, two or more breeds can live together-not always the breeds but just the chicken (kinda like people)!

My guess on the two sleeping in the nesting box, this is just become habit but it is possible they are getting some pecking at roosting time so that the dominant hens can get their places (the best places!). I would either move them after they have all roosted at night, with some space form the others but together if possible. And/or block of the nesting boxes before they head to roost and then uncover in the morning, if you have ones that are laying (which based on age I assume you do). It might take a few weeks but they will learn/re-learn where they need to roost.
Thank you for the advice! I will definitely try to observe more. They seem to do the bullying on the sly... hard to catch sometimes!

Back
Top Bottom