2 chicks dead. Please help!

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by cdmccaffery, Mar 30, 2017.

1. cdmccaffery

cdmccaffery New Egg

Mar 23, 2017
    I posted last week about 6 chicks that hatched with one of my hens. I have 3 adult pheasants- 1 rooster and 2 hens. I was worried about leaving them outside in the pen because of the cold but leaving them with mom was best- so she could take care of them. So far so good until I went out to check on them this morning and 2 were laying there dead. They were about a foot apart from each other. Last night was not the coldest night they've made it through and mom has been doing a good job laying on them to keep them warm. My first thought was that the rooster may have attacked them. But after inspecting the 2 chicks it didn't appear that they had any obvious injuries. They have starter food in a chick feeder. The adult food is in there but the bowl is much higher and I didn't thing they would jump up to eat it when their food is much more accessible. Does anyone know what could've happened?? I'm devastated. Just to be safe I put a partition up to separate mom and chicks from the other hen and rooster. Should I keep them separated?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
  2. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Wow moms are usually pretty good with their chicks.Could something have disturbs them during the night and they got separated?
    In N.H.,Tony.

3. 007Sean

007Sean Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    At that age it doesn't take much of a chill or draft to kill the chicks. Probable got seperated from mom, and became chilled and died. Seperating the mom and the rest of the chicks is a good idea. When in doubt, place them in a brooder. Not as good as mom but you don't have as many environmental factors to contend with...only more work for you, a foster parent.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by