2 Chicks Died Suddenly, no symptoms.

BaxterCoop

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 7, 2012
Co. Roscommon, Ireland
We have 12 silkie chicks between 5 and 9 weeks old housed with 6 Buff Orpington and 1 White Orpington chicks all 6 weeks old. They have recently started to have access to a covered out door run-grass.

Yesterday evening I found one of the Silkies dead in the run. No obvious injuries. All others seemed fine, no problems in the shed. Removed chick and put the others away for the night.
Checked this morning and fed and watered. Checked again at lunchtime, no problems. Went to check on them again half an hour ago (18.00hrs GMT), one chick dead in the shed, still warm. Another of the Silkies has seems ill, not reacting when my husband entered their run, not moving away when he went to pick it up. We have isolated this one. Checked run and found bloody stools in the run.

White Orpington also seems "off". Slightly lethargic and shaking his head a lot.

They are housed on straw and fed on Growers pellets. Clean and well ventilated.

We lost almost a whole hatch to what we believed was coccidiosis some time ago but they were much younger, only 4 weeks or so and with very different symptoms.

I am willing to go to a vet, although he's a really nice guy by his own admission he's no chicken expert so any suggestions are gratefully received cos we're feeling a bit helpless at the moment.

Thanks guys

What are your temps like? Silkies develop slowly and could be getting cold....Are you using medicated chicken starter feed to prevent coccidosis?

I think the temperature should still be ok. It's still reasonably mild here although Ireland is not blessed with the best temperatures. We have been keeping an eye on them to make sure they're not getting caught out if the temp does drop. The Silkies seem to be the first inside if there is any change in the weather but I will bear it in mind.

We cannot get medicated chick starter here, may be able to get it from some of the bigger online suppliers but delivery costs can be highly prohibitive.

Currently have the 2 obviously unwell chick isolated from the rest and each other and hoping for the best overnight
fl.gif

Just a follow up. Both chicks survived the night, saw the vet yesterday evening. Orpington was shaking her head a lot, vet thought maybe sinovitis and prescribed Tylosin. Advised I dose all chicks and keep the 2 worst ones seperated. Dosed all when got home. All chicks are thin but are still eating and drinking, showing signs of a bad cold now...

Back
Top Bottom