2 day old chick breathing heavy and very tired

Sphumr

Hatching
Jun 23, 2022
So I picked up 5, day old chicks on Tuesday. All was going well until today when I got home from work. 4 are still doing well and active but one of them seems to be very lethargic and is standing around while the others would kinda push her around as they ran. She is a buckeye chicken. I have removed her from the others as to not let her get hurt. She does not have pasty butt. And since I moved her an hour and a half ago she has gone poop and it looks normal. Her crop is squishy but I noticed a hard pea sized lump on the left side of her neck and do not know if this has anything to do with it. I am worried about her and am new to owning chickens and am wondering what to do. I have given her a little water with apple cider vinegar. As well as they have all been give electrolytes since I got them. Any help will be greatly appreciated. She was eating a little when I got home as well. She is peeping a lot and it seems she doesn’t like being alone.

Attachments

• 0F3A9229-1AD7-473E-96E6-3A63B381D097.jpeg
    0F3A9229-1AD7-473E-96E6-3A63B381D097.jpeg
    557.9 KB · Views: 13
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 2
Put her back with the others. It does more harm than good to separate her.

Give her some warm sugar water with drops of Poultry Nutri-drench in it. A few drops every hour. (Found in feed stores in the USA) This should revive her. If it doesn't produce improvement in a half a day, she's then probably a failure-to-thrive chick and will require additional feedings of a high protein food such as crumbled tofu or finely minced hard boiled egg.

Keeping the chick with the others is better because she will be stimulated to eat by the others, as well as deriving a sense of security from them, which is a positive for her well-being.

Back
Top Bottom