2 day old chicks and mummy hen has Red Mite!!! How quickly should I act?

Ok thanks for that info. And it would be ok to use a tiny bit on the chicks? That’d be good to protect them as well.

Should i discard her first 7 eggs then when she does lay again? Even if it’s a while after the treatment?
The dose is 2 drops for an adult pigeon, so adjust in proportion to your chicks' size vis-a-vis a pigeon.
Re: discarding treated hen's eggs, Ivermectin is given to humans to treat e.g. scabies, (see https://bnf.nice.org.uk/drug/ivermectin.html )
so I can't imagine it is really a problem. It is just that it has not yet been licensed for use as a veterinary medicine for chickens.

It's part of the concern over issues with low doses of medications causing drug resistance when the drug is actually needed, and because there are some individuals allergic to it.
The regulations regarding medications used in livestock are a lot tighter than they were years ago, and that's a good thing. What individuals do at home may be another thing, but being aware is also good.
Mary

The regulations regarding medications used in livestock are a lot tighter than they were years ago, and that's a good thing. What individuals do at home may be another thing, but being aware is also good.
absolutely. I am shocked by how many different antibiotics get recommended on this site and how easy it is to get hold of them there. Here all need a prescription from a vet.

Back
Top Bottom