2-day old chicks huddling but not under brooder plate

fargo234

In the Brooder
Jun 7, 2021
Southeast Texas, Earth
Hello. Picked up a bunch of chicks from the post office today. Totally healthy and active. I built a brooder box for outdoors. Put a brooder plate in there. Temps get in the low 90's during the day. Mid 60's at night. Heat index hit 102°F today! Some of the chicks hid under the plate during the day. But now that it's night, they have all decided to huddle up in the corner rather than under the brooder. The low tonight is 65°. They are only two days old. Are they going to be ok?

Attachments

• 20210617_205555.jpg
    20210617_205555.jpg
    617.3 KB · Views: 84
  • 20210617_204653.jpg
    20210617_204653.jpg
    450.1 KB · Views: 31
Hello. Picked up a bunch of chicks from the post office today. Totally healthy and active. I built a brooder box for outdoors. Put a brooder plate in there. Temps get in the low 90's during the day. Mid 60's at night. Heat index hit 102°F today! Some of the chicks hid under the plate during the day. But now that it's night, they have all decided to huddle up in the corner rather than under the brooder. The low tonight is 65°. They are only two days old. Are they going to be ok?
have you tried putting them under it? this happened to us too, and they figured it out pretty quickly

You might want to toy with the height of the plate. If its too low and they are too hot, they won't stay under it. Too high, they also won't stay under it. I set mine at an angle to try to help give them some choice of what feels best.

You might want to toy with the height of the plate. If its too low and they are too hot, they won't stay under it. Too high, they also won't stay under it. I set mine at an angle to try to help give them some choice of what feels best.
I like the angle option too. This last time I had a chick that lived the heat so much it had a bald spot from always being under the low side.

Back
Top Bottom