2-day old chicks huddling but not under brooder plate

16. How do I teach them? I've tried coaxing them but no go.
Definitely do as suggested above, move it to the corner they were in, if possible and drop the height on one end so it's on an incline. Then unfortunately it's just repeatedly tucking them under. If you have 25+ birds there's enough of them to just use body heat. How much light is in the brooder area?

We are having the same problem, same brooder plate, with our almost 2 week old chicks. They stayed under the plate every night until 2 days ago, they kept huddling against the play pen wall next to their food dish. We rearranged everything and kept putting them under- we did this for like 2 hours each night- we couldn't get them to stay under. They've been fine so far.. But it stresses me out! We raised up the brooder and also made one side higher than the other. The room itself is around 80F so maybe it's just not drafty? I was going to move the plate near them but got worried I was going to make it TOO hot for them? Part of me thinks "they were under there for over a week no problem, they should probably know what's right for them, right?" and part of me is "they are gonna get cold and I'm going to wake up to dead chicks!!" So... I am a little stressed about it..

We are having the same problem, same brooder plate, with our almost 2 week old chicks. They stayed under the plate every night until 2 days ago, they kept huddling against the play pen wall next to their food dish. We rearranged everything and kept putting them under- we did this for like 2 hours each night- we couldn't get them to stay under. They've been fine so far.. But it stresses me out! We raised up the brooder and also made one side higher than the other. The room itself is around 80F so maybe it's just not drafty? I was going to move the plate near them but got worried I was going to make it TOO hot for them? Part of me thinks "they were under there for over a week no problem, they should probably know what's right for them, right?" and part of me is "they are gonna get cold and I'm going to wake up to dead chicks!!" So... I am a little stressed about it..
Don't stress! If they have been using it just.
Don't stress! If they have been using it in the past, and making a choice to change behavior, its all good! In a room that warm they won't need the brooder plate as much for sure. Also don't forget, chicks that grow up with brooder plates feather out a tad faster, and assimilate to non heated spaces faster too. Just make sure the height is properly adjusted as they grow, thats the only catch. If its the wrong height they will abandon it.

Back
Top Bottom