2 day old chicks. One won’t eat or drink not even from a syringe. Can walk fine but chooses not to. Very tired and floppy neck.

Purelychicks

Songster
Nov 15, 2022
Arkansas
When I take it out from the brooder plate, it runs super fast back under full of life! But then its neck becomes droopy and it falls asleep. YES, I know chicks sleep a LOT. But not like this. It’s abnormal. It will NOT eat or drink. I got a little sugar water down it but that’s all it would take. It also cries a lot. It’s not in terrible condition but certainly not well. It does have a decent chance of making it I believe but I need help asap because their owner is coming to pick these chicks up tomorrow
(it was one of my hatch orders.) I don’t know what to do. It did take a long time to zip so I imagine it’s exhausted. It won’t even pick up on behaviors from the other chicks.

Does the chick cry a lot when under the brooder plate or just when moved out from underneath?

If she doesn't perk up, then this is a chick I would not send with the order, you certainly don't want to start out with giving someone weak chicks.

Try giving 2-3 drops PND twice a day, see if that helps.

Does the chick cry a lot when under the brooder plate or just when moved out from underneath?

If she doesn't perk up, then this is a chick I would not send with the order, you certainly don't want to start out with giving someone weak chicks.

Try giving 2-3 drops PND twice a day, see if that helps.
It only cries when I take it out from underneath. Could it still be tired from hatching?

How is she doing now?

No by 2 days old she should still be tired from hatching, she should be running about with the others exploring, eating/drinking.

A chick that stays under heat all the time and doesn't eat/drink - something is wrong.

Back
Top Bottom