2 day-old khaki campbell duckling with bad leg...can we fix it?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Ewe Mama2, May 19, 2010.

1. Ewe Mama2

Ewe Mama2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Northeastern Ohio
    Hi all. This little guy hatched out late on Monday evening and I didn't notice the leg problem at that time, but did make note that he hatched out in a strange postion (a leg was sticking out of his shell before he had zipped the whole way). He hops around, holding his little leg up all the time. The leg joint seems to be locked up and he can't straighten it. It seems to be formed normally (the joint looks a little swollen/larger than his "normal" leg). He doesn't seem to be in any pain, but hops around the brooder with the other ducklings.

1. Is there any thing we can try/should try to fix his leg?

2. If the above is a "no", could he live happily as a "pet" duck, or would it be better to cull him?

3. If culling is the only option, what is the most painless way to do it (I've never had to cull before, so I'm really nervouse of having to go that route.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for your advice.

Last edited: May 19, 2010
  2. Natermotor

Natermotor Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2010
    Cecil County,MD
    I had hatched a disabled duck about a month ago, and she is now doing ok. I think if this duck can get food and water, then she can live a happy life.

3. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Goodness - one of my Calls hatched a duckling just like this on Saturday - same side even - the "knee" is locked and fused. Pogo - as I have taken to calling the little hopper, is still with mom and keeping up with the other 7 - not as fast but mom will wait for Pogo to catch up.

I almost culled the little one (I use scissors and cut the neck), but when I actually looked at where they were hatched at (in the sage brush, over 250 feet from the coop/run and Mom had brought the entire clutch up to the run, I just could not. I figured if Pogo could keep up for that distance, I could give the little hopper a chance.

I will need to get pictures and show you ours - just a bitty white thing.

4. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Wipes tear from eye..... Looks to be a slipped tendon..I have Regie - a 6 month old Indian Runner who hatched with the same issue. She is an inside duck- and very small for her age. She still has feathers with the baby fluff attached and nneds alot of extra care. She lives inside the house as she wouldnt survive outside with the other ducks. She has a babies portable cot to live in- and is totally panpered. She has area where the feathers are worn off and sores developing in areas on her bad leg.

She gets a swim every evening- and has a few soft dogs beds around the house so she isnt always stuck in her cot.

Sadly Regie is obviously not a strong and healthy duck - and I do not expect her to live long. years ago I had a Pekin duck with the same condition- Forrest survived about 10 months.

Here are some pics of Regie.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It is very sad to have to face a decision to end the life of something so precious and sweet. The decision is yours alone to make... If you do not have the time or ability to care for a special needs animal - the kindest thing would be to euthenase - As by now the tendon would have shrunk and it would not be able to be easily slipped back into place.

5. jjrabbit2

jjrabbit2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    Kuna Id
    My friend had a Cayuga with both legs just like that... We massaged it daily by about 3weeks old one corrected itself. The other is still like that but it gets around just fine even swims in the pond and keeps up just fine.

6. Traveling Traci

Traveling Traci New Egg

Aug 29, 2017

7. Traveling Traci

Traveling Traci New Egg

Aug 29, 2017
    Hi
    Looks like our 4 day old duck except it's foot is fused at the knee and can't touch the ground. We don't know what to do

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by