2 days old, can't walk or keep balance

How old is he? Does his belly feel like that of his flock mates, or is it bigger and mushy? He's obviously distressed. Please read my post to the person in the thread re: the 5 week old Australorp with wry neck. I sound like a broken record, with my recommendation for Nutri-drench, but, IMO that's the best place to start when you have a chick that's not doing as well as it's flock mates.

Last edited:
Toes are fine. He seems like he wants to stand up. His belly feels the same, up until today they were all the same size. I keep straightening his legs out to feel if it's a tendon or something, can't feel anything out of the ordinary, but I have no experience to speak of.

He's asleep now, I gave him a concoction of pedialyte, infant vitamin, selenium and a little vita min E. It's a recipe, so I didn't make it up, it was recommended by a breeder on another group I belong to. 2 TBS Pedialyte 2 drops Baby Vitamin 100 units Vitamin E (squirt out half a capsule) 50 mcg Selenium (1/4 tablet crushed)

I'll try some nutrition drench.ive used probiotics, and electrolyte fluid as well. I hate typing on an iPad!

Goodnight. Hope the chick either gets better or passes tonight so I don't have to do the deed. :(

Toes are fine. He seems like he wants to stand up. His belly feels the same, up until today they were all the same size. I keep straightening his legs out to feel if it's a tendon or something, can't feel anything out of the ordinary, but I have no experience to speak of.

He's asleep now, I gave him a concoction of pedialyte, infant vitamin, selenium and a little vita min E. It's a recipe, so I didn't make it up, it was recommended by a breeder on another group I belong to. 2 TBS Pedialyte 2 drops Baby Vitamin 100 units Vitamin E (squirt out half a capsule) 50 mcg Selenium (1/4 tablet crushed)

I'll try some nutrition drench.ive used probiotics, and electrolyte fluid as well. I hate typing on an iPad!

Goodnight. Hope the chick either gets better or passes tonight so I don't have to do the deed. :(

How is he/she now?

Separate him now so if it is something it wont spread. And stay on what they have told you and I would medicate all chicks.

:( I culled him yesterday morning. He wasn't improving, so decided it was most likely a neurological issue. Vitamins helped his toes, but not his lack of balance. I'm hoping for another cockerel in this next batch of Dorking eggs.

Back
Top Bottom