2 days to go to hatch and goose broke egg.

Ruru, 2 eggs pipped day 28/29, hatched overnight. More hatched day 29, and then last night. I´m sure all are hatched. Today is day 30. That is, if I got the right day that she started sitting....maybe I didn´t notice her sitting the first day. Unlikely, but not impossible. At the moment it´s a bit cool, about 19ºC, so I´ll wait until it warms up a bit, then I´ll go down with my camera!

Yay!!! exciting to say the least.. Look forward to update on how many hopefully 100% hatched!!!
caf.gif

How precious, are they in a tire? is that her nest box?

Yes, a tyre. They like drums and tyres to nest in. Unfortunately one goose insists in nesting in the grasses in the marsh, but her eggs don´t ever hatch in there, silly goose. The drum is easier for me as the goslings can easily get in and out when they hatch. The geese like the tyres because they like the height. Then I cover it with half a water-tank to keep her sheltered from rain and sun. Problem is, after a month the nesting material has sunk, and it would make it difficult for little ones to get in and out, so today I took the tyre away and left her with the nesting material under the half water-tank. (I took the water-tank away to get the pics) That way they can start nibbling grass. Did you spot one little female among the 5? She´s so pretty with her big black eyes, the other girlie was snuggled in the other side.

How precious, are they in a tire? is that her nest box?

Yes, a tyre. They like drums and tyres to nest in. Unfortunately one goose insists in nesting in the grasses in the marsh, but her eggs don´t ever hatch in there, silly goose. The drum is easier for me as the goslings can easily get in and out when they hatch. The geese like the tyres because they like the height. Then I cover it with half a water-tank to keep her sheltered from rain and sun. Problem is, after a month the nesting material has sunk, and it would make it difficult for little ones to get in and out, so today I took the tyre away and left her with the nesting material under the half water-tank. (I took the water-tank away to get the pics) That way they can start nibbling grass. Did you spot one little female among the 5? She´s so pretty with her big black eyes, the other girlie was snuggled in the other side.

Thanks for the stories and pics. Very cute.
Ah, lol, don't let this one experience turn you off them... This is the first lamb I've ever had who was sick. All the rest, and all the goat kids, were fine, and I've raised many orphans who came from terrible and unhealthy backgrounds.

This little girl just had an exceptionally bad time with every odd stacked against her. She was rejected at birth then paralyzed by multiple paralysis ticks, so she couldn't even lift her head, when she was about a week old, and during that time she was left in an open structure in the middle of winter, lying in her own urine and faeces. Then she was fed contaminated and very diluted plain milk powder in massive quantities by the previous owner who wanted to harm her to get to me. She nearly died so many times. Her knees were locked in the folded position and she's been poisoned and infected with all manner of toxins and bacteria, the pulpy kidney was inevitable. She's doing great now though, thankfully. That's her in my profile picture.

Sheep and goats can be great pets, very full of character, with great senses of humor, and some are quite affectionate and devoted. Like poultry, don't believe the hype about them all being utterly brainless. Some are quite smart and trainable. My lamb knows to only pee in a certain place (since she comes indoors) and has all manner of tricks up her sleeve. She's a Damara mix and they're so much like goats it's amazing. 

Anyway, best wishes with your flock. Some sheep or goats would probably help with the grass trimming. ;)

Many young animals get the scours with a change of diet or circumstances. When our foals get the scours we give them a mix of anchor red cordial (must have actual rasberry juice in it) and natural yogurt. This generally clears it up really quickly. (Mix it up roughly 50/50 and put it in the largest syringe you can find and put it down their throats) I've also used this for calves and lambs and it works a treat, with the calves and lambs - you can add it to their milk if you are hand feeding.

Back
Top Bottom