2 Different Breeds? Maybe New Hampshire Red?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Rickhboone, Sep 27, 2010.

1. Rickhboone

Rickhboone New Egg

Sep 25, 2010
    I bought these 2 chicks from a breeder who said they were the same breed, New Hampshire Reds. They do look slightly different. Maybe one is just younger? The chick on the right is the same in both photos. Thanks for any help!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Tdub4chiks

Tdub4chiks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Constantia, NY
    The same thing happened to me. I ordered 4 RIR's from MPC. 2 are darker and 2 are lighter. I thought maybe the lighter ones were what they call Production Reds. I believe them to be RIR's mixed with NHR. Not sure if this is correct or not, but they are all pretty birds.

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    I think you just got them from a "breeder" who simply got them from a hatchery. Hatchery based/quality New Hampshires do vary in color and even in head shape. All in all, they're probably crossbred somewhere back there. . . Hatcheries really aren't the best at their so called "purebred" breeding, and there's plenty of "breeders" who just get hatchery stuff and breed them to sell.

4. Rickhboone

Rickhboone New Egg

Sep 25, 2010
    she is a "backyard breeder" and had all ages there, so I am sure they were hers, though I am not sure she knew what she was talking about. I am happy with a pretty hen, but I bought them for laying. Luckily I have 7 mature leghorns if these don't produce that well. Thanks for your help.

5. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    They are both hatchery type New Hampshire's.
    If the "Breeder" is calling them New Hampshire Reds then the chances are real good that they got there birds from a hatchery.
    The true name of the breed is a New Hampshire.

Chris

Last edited: Sep 27, 2010
  6. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    They could be production RIR or New Hampshires..either way they are nice birds. Just to throw this in...the bird on the left looks like a roo. At least you will be able to breed more of them when the grow up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by