2 drakes?

I can make her a separate pen it would be pretty small
The pen I have them in is small but she can take more of the run so she is safe
The area my ducks are in is roomy enough
How long should it take for them to get used to her
And how big would her pen have to be
Usually you want 10sq ft, but for short period she could handle a smaller area.

Usually you want to do a week, but sometimes ducks get along sooner. I have had ducks integrate seamlessly with little time and other take longer. If they sleep in a coop, putting her in a crate in the coop with them at night can make it easier. You could always try them together after a day or two and see how it goes. If it doesn't work, stick to slow and steady. Multiple food and water areas also help when there is bullying.

Usually you want 10sq ft, but for short period she could handle a smaller area.

Usually you want to do a week, but sometimes ducks get along sooner. I have had ducks integrate seamlessly with little time and other take longer. If they sleep in a coop, putting her in a crate in the coop with them at night can make it easier. You could always try them together after a day or two and see how it goes. If it doesn't work, stick to slow and steady. Multiple food and water areas also help when there is bullying.
They keep getting out of the pens 😂. They seem to be mingling with my ducks hood so far. I’m going to make a run for the girls for permanently.

They keep getting out of the pens 😂. They seem to be mingling with my ducks hood so far. I’m going to make a run for the girls for permanently.
Yeah. I was wondering if that might happen. My largest drake can jump a 3ft fence when he is really determined. That use to mostly be for treats and wouldn't jump to get back to the girls 😂. His priorities are different.

Sounds like they are getting along ok so far.

I have more drakes then I should have and finding homes is very hard
So I have separated them to give the girls breaks
I do let them out together every few days for short periods of time and supervised to make sure there is no ganging up to mate
My girls do great being separated they do what they normally do
My boys are the ones upset
They spend the day walking back and forth along the separated fence
The first few days I did this I broke up many drake fights as they were completely put out but after a few weeks now it’s calmed right down
At night I have always separated my girls and boys in the pen so the girls could lay their eggs in peace
I use pet fencing and it’s kept the boys on their side
I have also given the boys each their own area with pets fencing to separate so there is no drake fights at night
The girls never fight they are so much easier :)

A lot of the time I see relief from my females when I have separated out a drake. They are usually a lot happier. The biggest problem will be your youngest females are not ready to mate yet. So they need that separation. Sometimes you make them unhappy to do what is best overall. Once everyone is old enough, they won't need to be separated all the time.

Back
Top Bottom