2 eggs crushed. Babies chirping

Malbri

Songster
12 Years
Jan 10, 2008
Bowdoin
It's day 22(soon to be 23. I saw a pip when the mother got off to get a drink, but when she got back on she stepped on the egg! She crushed a side of it, but there is no blood. She is sitting on it now, do you think it'll be fine? I also picked up another one to see hat it appeared crushed on one side, and there is a little blood. The chick is chirping but the mother is mostly ignoring it and doesnt even have it under her. What should I do?

Can you push it up under her? I crushed one right before hatch too, and was told it still has a good chance. Mine is in an incubator. I can see it moving under the membrane, but no pip yet. It's not the only one not pipped yet, though, so I'm not worried.

If you can't get it up under her, maybe you can bring it in and finish the incubation? You're so close to done, there's good hope for it. Also, someone suggested that I dip the crushed portion in hot wax to seal the crack and keep the membrane from drying out. I didn't do it, because I didn't want to open the bator again & lose humidity, but since yours isn't under the hen yet anyway, it might be worth a quick try.

Good luck!

It has already ripped the membrane and it has its beak peeping it. Between the momma and the babies they peeled off alot of the shell. I took the one she didnt have under her and put it under a lamp with a damp cloth around the solid part of the egg. Should I do that with the other because she keeps getting up and kinda kicking it, unaware its there

I wish I knew the answer... I think you'll have to just use your instincts--is she helping it hatch, or hurting it?

Since they have already started to hatch, you have a very good chance of them being fine either way. Do what makes the most sense to you, and let us know how it turns out.

i think you can do that.

that's good idea having them under lamp with damp cloth. it's the hatch day so they have enough *power* to survive that i tough.

good luck with them.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom