2 eggs in one day??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by coop-er, Aug 21, 2013.

1. coop-er

coop-er Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2012
    I have 2 RIR and they lay religiously. The other day one of them laid two eggs in one day. How common is this? I don't believe I've read anything about this kind of thing. Might I be fortunate enough to see this from her again??

2. jenifry

jenifry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2012
    South Dakota
    It is VERY rare. Their bodies aren't made to keep up that kind of production. You will most likely see an egg a day out of a RIR until they are past prime egg laying age. Unlike some people will lead you to believe, reds will continue to lay until they are 4 years old or older, but as they age their production declines to maybe 1-2 eggs per week at 4 years old. My dad has an Australorp that is over 6 years old and still lays 2 eggs a week.

3. coop-er

coop-er Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2012
    Interesting....they do seem to be "super-layers", they are the only survivors of predator attack and the two are all alone.-however even though all of their flockmates were killed ( they were all raised together) they have never missed a day of laying.

4. naightengale

naightengale Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2013
    Rocky Mount VA.
    My Coop
    my sexlinks do two eggs a day each twice a week and 1 egg each 2 to 3 times a week.. the other days no eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by