2 embryo in 1 egg? Please look at picture

HAPPY EASTER Y'ALL

Yesterday while checking our cows, we found a young Teal duck hen injured by a snapping turtle. She could not fly, but was fast on her feet. Apparently she had been injured earlier in the morning because the bleeding had stopped. Her breast skin was torn in a three corner tear from her breast down to the tip of her keel bone, the breast muscle was split at the keel bone and her abdominal wall was cut exposing the tip of her liver.

I put in a call to our vet and then I cleaned her injuries, debreded the dead tissue, flushed her abdomen with sterile saline solution. I continued gently cleaning the area of any dirt, grass and loose feathers. Otherwise the little hen had no further injuries. She was in shock so the warm water soak helped bring up her body temp. I wrapped her in a warmed towel and gave her 250 mg of amoxicillin in a few drops of Nutridrench and water.

While I have sewn stitches in a few of our farm animals, I've never had to do internal stitches. I was relieved when my vet called and said to bring her in for surgery. Because she had already been prepped, the vet immediately sedated her and started the hour and a half procedure. Sadly just as the vet finished all the stitches and was painting the sutures, the little hen breathed her last breath.

This is the first year that Teals have frequented our farm ponds. It is sad to see such a beautiful bird suffer. We did the best we could for her and the vet was just as sad.

Roger is going to start trapping and shooting the snapping turtles in that pond. He said he had counted way too many turtles the last few times he has scattered the floating fish food at the pond.

On a happier note, 11 of 11 duck eggs went into lockdown with 45 chick eggs. Four ducklings were already internally pipped with a due date of April 20. We may have some early zippers.

Last edited:
Yesterday while checking our cows, we found a young Teal duck hen injured by a snapping turtle. She could not fly, but was fast on her feet. Apparently she had been injured earlier in the morning because the bleeding had stopped. Her breast skin was torn in a three corner tear from her breast down to the tip of her keel bone, the breast muscle was split at the keel bone and her abdominal wall was cut exposing the tip of her liver.

I put in a call to our vet and then I cleaned her injuries, debreded the dead tissue, flushed her abdomen with sterile saline solution. I continued gently cleaning the area of any dirt, grass and loose feathers. Otherwise the little hen had no further injuries. She was in shock so the warm water soak helped bring up her body temp. I wrapped her in a warmed towel and gave her 250 mg of amoxicillin in a few drops of Nutridrench and water.

While I have sewn stitches in a few of our farm animals, I've never had to do internal stitches. I was relieved when my vet called and said to bring her in for surgery. Because she had already been prepped, the vet immediately sedated her and started the hour and a half procedure. Sadly just as the vet finished all the stitches and was painting the sutures, the little hen breathed her last breath.

This is the first year that Teals have frequented our farm ponds. It is sad to see such a beautiful bird suffer. We did the best we could for her and the vet was just as sad.

Roger is going to start trapping and shooting the snapping turtles in that pond. He said he had counted way too many turtles the last few times he has scattered the floating fish food at the pond.
So sorry :hugs :hugs
I like snappers but I hate them so much! :hugs I am glad you tried to help her, thank you

On a happier note, 11 of 11 duck eggs went into lockdown with 45 chick eggs. Four ducklings were already internally pipped with a due date of April 20. We may have some early zippers.

Lord do I know all about snapping turtle injuries, God bless you for doing all you did. Teal ducks are my FAVORITE , I want to incubate some so bad, those and pintails.. I'm so sorry the little hen didn't make it ..Do you have a wildlife agency where you are? I'd give them a call, they will come set traps for free because most like to study the snapping turtles. They set traps in our pond and we don't have todo anything but provide the pond lol
It is worth a call ..

Back
Top Bottom