2 flocks

corthendo

Chirping
May 22, 2023
So I originally had 5 chicks, gave away the two cockerels and arm left with three 2 month old pullets. I have integrated my 3 now 6 week old pullets. There is some pecking still but nothing crazy they are all roosting together at night. But in the run and when they free range they stay in two separate groups. It’s only been a few days but they are all a similar size and I’m wondering if eventually they will be a cohesive flock together, how long does that normally take?

No.

SImply No.

I free range. My roos stake out territory, the hens pick their favorite roos, and self segregate. Sometimes, they decide the grass is greener, and change roos...

Everyone gets along fine come feed time, and sleep time - but while they are ranging? It looks more like cliques at the high school. There's the preppies, the nerds, the jocks, the drama queen and her cadre, the drama kids, the band kids, all travelling in their own little packs, all most likely to be found in different places.

No.

SImply No.

I free range. My roos stake out territory, the hens pick their favorite roos, and self segregate. Sometimes, they decide the grass is greener, and change roos...

Everyone gets along fine come feed time, and sleep time - but while they are ranging? It looks more like cliques at the high school. There's the preppies, the nerds, the jocks, the drama queen and her cadre, the drama kids, the band kids, all travelling in their own little packs, all most likely to be found in different places.
I was hoping since they were young and such a small flock it would go more cohesively. I’m just glad the slightly bigger girls aren’t causing damage. But I’m like they are all basically the same size they could fight back if they wanted to. My original 5 were cohesive together other than the two cockerels always wanting to tussle but they didn’t hurt each other. My friend I gave them to said one of my Roos who was the alpha in my flock is now the alpha in hers lol.

Back
Top Bottom