2 girl ducks together

marcelineduckie

Songster
May 9, 2015
California
I have come to the conclusion that duckie does need a duck friend although she gets tons of love from us I do agree flock animals need, well a flock. My husband is against it but I will just have to go against his wishes fo the greater good. Now I am pretty sure duckie is a girl she started her quack at 3 weeks I know this is not hard evidence but even if not I still want to get another girl. Would 2 girls be good together? She is a pekin breed so I will be getting another pekin. Also she is about 4 weeks will she not like a smaller friend who is probably about 2 weeks?

Ok guys so here's an update I went to check out what ducks were available They had pekins mallards and runners I'm seriously considering getting a runner, any thought or experiences with pekin and runners living together?

Runners and Pekins should get along as long as they are relatively the same size or age as one another.

Smaller ducklings have a tendency of getting too wet or trampled on by larger ducklings, so if you do decide to get a two week old Runner, make sure that the brooder or pen is large enough for the Runner to avoid getting stomped on. Runners are primarily egg-laying and exhibition ducks, so they don't get as heavy as a Pekin, but they will get rather tall. That being said, it may take some time for the Runner to "catch up" in growth with the Pekin.

Runners and Pekins should get along as long as they are relatively the same size or age as one another.

Smaller ducklings have a tendency of getting too wet or trampled on by larger ducklings, so if you do decide to get a two week old Runner, make sure that the brooder or pen is large enough for the Runner to avoid getting stomped on. Runners are primarily egg-laying and exhibition ducks, so they don't get as heavy as a Pekin, but they will get rather tall. That being said, it may take some time for the Runner to "catch up" in growth with the Pekin.
thank you my pekin is definitely going to be larger she's 4 weeks while the baby will be two but I figure I can keep them together in the day while we're out in the yard and have them speed in separate spaces while they sleep do you think they'd like that haah? My pekin cries when we walk around a corner and I just want to make sure she doesn't feel lonely at all I am really interested in the runner the pekin was given to us oh and they are supposed to have different protein diets at 4 weeks than a 2 week old right? So I might have to separately brood them for a couple weeks at least anyways

Back
Top Bottom