2 hens 1 nest. Guinea Fowl push to hatch !!

Moonbeam Guineas

Songster
Jan 21, 2022
2 hens 1 nest.. They are racing Autumn 🍁🍃🍂 to hatch some keets? I am in South East Ohio .. Would natural born keets even survive the seasons to come? How long are my Guinea Hens going to produce eggs? I hatched their eggs and my keets are almost all free ranging so they do have offspring !! I dont want any more keets this year, let alone keets that will succumb to the weather ..can I take out a bunch of eggs from the nest and disrupt their broody fever? ..I tried earlier to place a cage around a hen on her nest but it stressed her out and she never went back I also tried to move a nest into her secure old coop and she was also stressed and never Sat on her eggs, only screaming out the window. So, all in all.. If I take out eggs will they go back to the barn to roost? And then continue to lay eggs in the nest I know of? ..or will they more likely make a new nest?

2 hens 1 nest.. They are racing Autumn 🍁🍃🍂 to hatch some keets? I am in South East Ohio .. Would natural born keets even survive the seasons to come? How long are my Guinea Hens going to produce eggs? I hatched their eggs and my keets are almost all free ranging so they do have offspring !! I dont want any more keets this year, let alone keets that will succumb to the weather ..can I take out a bunch of eggs from the nest and disrupt their broody fever? ..I tried earlier to place a cage around a hen on her nest but it stressed her out and she never went back I also tried to move a nest into her secure old coop and she was also stressed and never Sat on her eggs, only screaming out the window. So, all in all.. If I take out eggs will they go back to the barn to roost? And then continue to lay eggs in the nest I know of? ..or will they more likely make a new nest?
Can you remove the eggs and just leave a few marked ones behind so they keep using the nest to lay eggs? With only a few eggs they will be less likely to go broody on it, though they might anyway. Previous years, some of my hens seemed really committed to going broody right before they stopped laying, like that one last attempt before winter! This year my birds have been locked up so much and had the unsuccessful keet hatch, so most gave up laying early. Instead they are entering an earlier than usual molt.

Can you remove the eggs and just leave a few marked ones behind so they keep using the nest to lay eggs? With only a few eggs they will be less likely to go broody on it, though they might anyway. Previous years, some of my hens seemed really committed to going broody right before they stopped laying, like that one last attempt before winter! This year my birds have been locked up so much and had the unsuccessful keet hatch, so most gave up laying early. Instead they are entering an earlier than usual molt.
Yes, I will remove some tomorrow and chase the hens back to the barn. ..some of the eggs are much smaller then usually and I am thinking its because they are almost done laying for the season.

When your guineas molt, can they fly?

Back
Top Bottom