2 hens 1 nest.

bleechme

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 4, 2010
So I got a trio of Thai games that I am breeding, so my 2 pullets are almost a year and they started laying 2 days ago, first I thought only one was going to start laying but strangely they both laid on the same day. I have 3 nest boxes (I originally had 3, 2 pullets and 1 hen, but the hen kept attacking the two pullets so I separated her) And it seems they both are laying in 1 and are continuing to do so. I'm afraid of the outcome, will these two fight to sit in the nest once done laying? I can't see them sharing cause these guys aren't the friendliest chickens. 2 summers ago I had two OEGB hens sitting together and they both raised the babies together (most amazing to watch), but I just can't see Thais doing that.

Plan A:
if they both are welling to sit together, I may leave them be, but the nest really is only big enough for one chicken cause that was the plan, one per nest.

Plan B:
if they don't cooperate with sitting together, I will leave all the eggs for the bigger pullet to sit on and move the smaller one cause I'm expecting about 10-12 eggs per pullet so that will be about 20-24 eggs. Bit too much, yea... but good thing is thai game hens are pretty descent in size and their eggs are just a tad bigger than bantams so i'm crossing my fingers she will be able to cover them all with no problem.

anyone have ideas on what to do? I hate using incubators but thats my last option. I hate brooding chicks, lol, thats why I prefer the hens do it naturally and take care of the chicks, and a mama with chicks is just a beautiful sight to see.

the best thing to do is leave them to decided if they dont want to share the stronger hen will chase away the other one and ur not alone i hate incubators too because the chicks tend to think there more human then chicken

My 9 chickens were all laying in the same box, which coincidently also became my silkies favorite place to sleep= poopy eggs. I just put 2 stone eggs in the other 2 boxes and now all the chickens lay in those 2, leaving the third for silkie to sleep in. It worked perfectly for me, so maybe 2 fake eggs in seperate boxes and they will both pick a different one.

I had 6 eggs yesterday, split them 3 in one and 3 in the other, It seems they still both laid in the same nest, leaving the other 3 eggs lonely. I guess i'll just have to wait and see who sits first and I will just put all the eggs in that one.

Back
Top Bottom