2 hens-laying same time, same nest box

If I come into the coop when two or more are competing for the same nest, I get the brunt of the fight. They start squawking at me and tugging at my pants and swiping their beaks across me as if asking me to make the other hurry it up. It’s entertaining but I’d rather stay out of it 🤣

The other day, I found 2 of my hens in my bigger nest box at the same time. It appears that they were laying eggs at the same time. I'm not worried about it but i'm wondering if other people have this experience of hens sharing a nest box when they're laying an egg. This is a nest box that I created out of a cardboard box and it is big enough to hold the 2 chickens comfortably.
Yup, all of my girls will only lay in 1 nesting box, even though we have multiple. If more than one girl needs to lay at the same time, they will all squeeze into that one box.

Yup, all of my girls will only lay in 1 nesting box, even though we have multiple. If more than one girl needs to lay at the same time, they will all squeeze into that one box.
I'm actually thinking of adding another nest box, as one of my hens sermed to be pacing and looking for a good place to lay her egg the other day. My 2 nest boxes were occupied....

Last week I found out how many LARGE sized hens can fit in a 5 gallon bucket (I use orange home depot buckets on their sides with the bottom cut out for my nest 'boxes' with artificial grass pads in the bottom.) THREE the answer is THREE. If another girl had tried to get in there, I'd probably have had to cut the bucket to get them out. lol One day I will remember to take my phone out there with me. Some of their antics I keep to myself, because I don't think anyone would believe me if I told them what these girls do sometimes. LOL

Back
Top Bottom