2 hens on a nest @ 23days

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Barry, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Barry

Barry Chillin' With My Peeps

I decided to let broody hen #1 sit on a few eggs. A few days later, hen #2 goes broody also.
    There is 1 neat box and they have been sharing it. It is 18 inches off the ground, what a bad location!
    They have ejected 3 eggs in the past 2 days. One was not fertile, another had a partially developed chick and the 3rd was a fully developed chick ready to hatch.
    I candled 2 eggs still under Hen#1, 1 not fertile, and the other was developing but still had room in the egg. Hen #2 is on 3 more.
    These are young hens (Buff Brahma Bantums) and I don't think they know what they are doing.
    I think I will give them another day or 2 and if they have not hatched anything, they will be put off the nest.
    I will stick to my incubator in the future.
    Would you do anything different or do you have any advise?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Guess it comes down to personal preference. I don't own an incubator and really don't want one. I want broodies, and got breeds that are supposed to have some broodiness. So I would have a setup where the nest box is on the ground or can be moved onto the ground. Might separate a broody, have not decided; I did not the one time I had a broody hatching eggs, and it worked OK. Actually she was also in a high nest; I moved her and the chick that hatched as soon as it hatched, and they accepted the move.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by