2 Hens past recently

SarahDemeneses

In the Brooder
Jan 21, 2021
Hello,

I’m very new to keeping hens and I’ve had two of our 7 hens pass in the past month suddenly. We have been feeding them regularly and they didn’t have any obvious signs of distress.It’s possible that the hen that past today was dehydrated, but maybe just for a couple days. It is also winter here in CT so maybe the cold is a factor? We currently don’t live on the same property as the hens ( will be moving onsite in a month) but we see them every 2-3 days.

Your experience and advice is much appreciated!

Thank you,
Sarah

Hello,

I’m very new to keeping hens and I’ve had two of our 7 hens pass in the past month suddenly. We have been feeding them regularly and they didn’t have any obvious signs of distress.It’s possible that the hen that past today was dehydrated, but maybe just for a couple days. It is also winter here in CT so maybe the cold is a factor? We currently don’t live on the same property as the hens ( will be moving onsite in a month) but we see them every 2-3 days.

Your experience and advice is much appreciated!

Thank you,
Sarah
Do they always have fresh water to drink? Dehydration would be a serious issue.
What exactly are you feeding them?
Were there any symptoms prior to death?
Is your coop ventilated? Can you post pictures of it?

Do they always have fresh water to drink? Dehydration would be a serious issue.
What exactly are you feeding them?
Were there any symptoms prior to death?
Is your coop ventilated? Can you post pictures of it?
This is a great list of issues to troubleshoot. I know that chickens can get dehydrated very quickly, a few days without water could be enough to be fatal.

Hens without water for 2 full days could die especially if they are older. Think about it. Humans can only survive for 3 days on average without water. Of course, a lot of factors determine exactly how long such as age, health, climate etc... same as it would with a hen.

Back
Top Bottom