2 Hoop coop cattle panel questions

Pics
Yes, I covered my entire run with hardware cloth and have an apron skirt around the bottom. I'll try and post some pictures. (I'm waiting until I add the finishing touches before I do coop page.) Here's the best I have for now:
View attachment 2796404

I believe Blooie had to move on from keeping chickens and is not active on the site. Her coop page has more info on her build:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/motel-chix.67240/

She had done an article on brooding chicks outside that would have more information:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/yes-you-certainly-can-brood-chicks-outdoors.68067/

Ah, good to know. We havent yet bought the hardware cloth and i'm trying not to think about the price tag.

My only fear with skirting is creating an area I can't mow. Trenching seems viable, but trenching would likely undermine the stakes I'd need to drive.

Oops, accidentally posted in the wrong spot.

My only fear with skirting is creating an area I can't mow. Trenching seems viable, but trenching would likely undermine the stakes I'd need to drive.

You can mow over the wire skirt if you're careful about staking down the edges.

Attachments

• 0813211502a.jpg
    0813211502a.jpg
    616.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 0813211502_HDR.jpg
    0813211502_HDR.jpg
    784 KB · Views: 11
So this is back on the menu and progressing well.

One 8x12 coop done. One 8x12 'manger' [6 foot open entrance in front] for alpaca done.

I am waiting on a huge shipment of cattle panel to do the run connecting the coop to the manger. I will do the other two 8x12 buildings in spring when the weather is kinder.

The garden in the middle of the hoop square will be quite big... I can't remember exactly but it's something like 30x40 on the interior.

This means I'm making a run with something like 10 cattle panel in a row... hopefully that goes okay and has enough structure to stand... if not I will figure something out on the fly.

i believe the final 4 buildings in my moat design will be the chicken coop, manger, turkey coop, and rabbit colony. We have the old coop/run as a backup (if we need to separate the flock, etc) and the barn I am rehabbing as well if we need more space.

Back
Top Bottom