2 lab pups in SE Tx being raised w/birds

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by tx_dane_mom, Dec 25, 2007.

1. tx_dane_mom

tx_dane_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2007
    SE Texas
    Well, my husband calls me Christmas Eve & says 'Don't hate me, but I'm bringing home 2 puppies" They were left on the side of a highway in the middle of nowhere in 30* weather and were freezing, so he brought them here. 2 girls, best I can figure, their mom was probably chocolate lab, and they have different fathers. One, I believe is probably pure black lab, and the other is a mix, but is chocolate in color. I would put them @ 8 wks old or so. I have given them their 1st shots and am currently worming them. They are on a good quality kibble and are introduced to my birds and my 5 dogs.
    The only things they have been 'startled' about are the guinea flying at them squaking and the black one 'Lily' barks at the cat (I'm working on that.)
    They both have EXCELLENT temperments and are just willing to please. They are slightly leary of humans (rightly so after being dumped.) I think these will make excellent farm or bird dogs and that is how I plan to raise them up until the right home is found for them. Oh, and they just LOVE my 3 yr old daughter.
    If anyone is interested in them, let me know.
    Kristi

2. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Bless your husbands heart....how can anyone dump puppies, much less in freezing weather, I will never know. And bless you for taking them in and taking care of them. The things people do to animals.....

3. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    My mom is just like your husband. She took in 2 strays that where playing on the highway. They are by far the 2 sweetest dogs on eart and have never touched the chickies.

4. tx_dane_mom

tx_dane_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2007
    SE Texas
    Well, I was an active member of Great Dane rescue for 4.5 yrs and we've been on sabatacle for several months, so he knew I wouldn't say no...it's just that I am not very fond of 'lab' puppies myself although these 2 are making me change my opinion, I must say...
    Here's hoping someone is looking for a good livestock guardian and pet (or 2).
    Kristi

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by