2 lost in 2 nights

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by mac-ali eggs, Jul 29, 2010.

1. mac-ali eggs

mac-ali eggs Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2010
    Yesterday when i went to get the eggs i had a bird that had its head eatin off but the body was untouched. i thought it was a one time deal never had a problem in last 3 years. now i go to get eggs today same story no head. i can't findany tracks and it only is killing the birds that are laying. what a bummer any ideas on the culprit? the traps are going out tonight Thanks Rick:([​IMG]
  2. MysticScorpio82

MysticScorpio82 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Maine, USA
    More than likely it was a Raccoon. Here is a link to help identify predator based on kill styles : https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=18670

that said I do know someone who had foxes taking the heads off her chickens. The chicken would stick it's head out the gate to see what a noise was and the fox would decapitate it.

I am sorry for your losses, and i hope you catch the killer! [​IMG]
  3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Put our the traps and lock the coop. It will be back. Great horned owls will also eat the heads. Several years ago in Central Park, they thought they were dealing with animal abuse or satanic rituals. Ducks were being found with their heads removed. It was found to be the work of a Great Horned owl.
  4. mgw

mgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    put out traps check coop run security. sorry for your loss .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by