2 male pheasants together..

K95

In the Brooder
Apr 4, 2019
Hiya, I’ve not got a lot of experience with pheasants so seeking some advice. We currently have a male golden pheasant at work (in a large tropical house) we’ve been hoping to get him a girlfriend but haven’t as of yet. I’ve had the offer of another male pheasant which I’m interested in purchasing but don’t know if the 2 males would be okay together?

Would I be best finding 2 females and then releasing 2 new females and the new male in at the same time. Or would the two males live okay together with a few to gain 2 females within the next few months ?

Thankyou!

:welcome In my limited experience 2 male pheasants , especially in a limited space, will be a disaster during the breeding season. @007Sean, what's your feeling on this ?

Two males in the same pen will work, only if no females are anywhere near them.
You can put females in with the single male but not the other male, they will fight to the death. If you want both males, then another pen will need to be built.
Also, introducing the females into the pen the single male has been in for awhile, may or may not work, because the male see's the pen as his territory and will defend it against all comers! It's best to make the transfer at night, and into a pen that is 'new' to both the male and female birds. That way they are all in the 'same boat' so to speak...a new home for all and they will work out the pecking order without trying to kill eachother. HTH

The area is about 20m x 26m, thank you both of you. So Sean 2 males would be okay together without a female? It isn’t necessary we get females it was just suggested by other staff members that the current male should have a mate. Although personally I would rather have 2 pretty looking males than 1 pretty male and a duller looking female. (Disclaimer the females are nice but from a business point of view I need pretty )

The area is about 20m x 26m, thank you both of you. So Sean 2 males would be okay together without a female? It isn’t necessary we get females it was just suggested by other staff members that the current male should have a mate. Although personally I would rather have 2 pretty looking males than 1 pretty male and a duller looking female. (Disclaimer the females are nice but from a business point of view I need pretty )
Yes, two males will be fine as long as no females are present.

Just out of curiosity......
Can the pens be right next to each other if there is a wood sight barrier between the males and females? Or will the males still fight if they can hear the females?

More than likely they will will fight. I seperate my pens by alternating species, ie; pen 1 Goldens, pen 2 Reeves, pen 3 Bianchi, pen 4 Amherst, etc. I don't use a divider wall and have no problems with the different males fighting between the wire.
But, I think if you have males on one side and females on the other, there will be fighting even with a 2' or 3' divider wall, (sight barrier). JMO

Back
Top Bottom