2 month old chicks ate a poisoned grasshopper

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by brendadiane24, Aug 10, 2016.

  1. brendadiane24

    brendadiane24 Out Of The Brooder

    42
    1
    34
    May 11, 2014
    Will this kill them? They ate a poisoned grasshopper a few minutes ago.....they seem fine right now but I'm not sure what to do.
     
  2. Eggcessive

    Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

    29,373
    3,441
    501
    Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Was insecticide used on the grasshopper, and if so, what product? Permethrin is fairly safe in chickens, but others could be a problem. Read your label and post again. Some things are toxic, but it depends on how much is eaten. Just keep a close eye on the chickens. There are a couple of things that may be used to flush out poisons such as Epsom salts or molasses flushes, but use caution, since those can cause diarrhea and cause dehydration. Replace any lost fluids with water and electrolytes, such as SaveAChick.
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by