2 months and no eggs... help!!

We had gone over a month with no eggs...I'm guessing due to molting and then the stress of losing flock mates to predators and the resulting change in their ability to free range. I have offered calcium in a separate dish, but otherwise they just eat regular feed.

Now, this morning, an egg! What I did was put nest eggs in a few of the boxes a few days ago with the hope this would remind them, "Oh, yeah. Eggs....I'm supposed to be doing that." On the second day of nest eggs being in, an egg. Might be coincidence, but give it a try and see if it works for you.

I have a friend who has a few 20 year old hens who still lay the occasional egg.
Egg production doesn’t stop at 3 years of age. Egg production does decrease as a hen ages. I wouldn’t expect more than an egg or two a week from the 8 year old hens.
It might be time to add some young pullets to your flock.

20 year old hens?:eek: Wow those are some long-lived ladies! :woot

It has been two months and I haven't received any eggs!!! At first I blamed it on molting because that was the case. Then I kept convincing myself that they must still be molting... but now it's been 2 to 2 1/2 months and there have been no eggs! They couldn't be laying them anywhere else, they shouldn't be stressed, plenty of food, water, very clean coop and run, and they all appear healthy and to have no feather missing now, from molting or otherwise! I'm at a complete loss and right now we are just paying for feed with no output... please please please send help!

I have 5 freeloaders myself. They all had a molt in September-October, and now its snowing. I don't know, I'm not doing supplemental light. I figure they'll lay when they lay. It is kind of frustrating though, they're all at laying age and very young. Sorry, I just wanted you to know misery loves company, I dont have any real help.

Back
Top Bottom