2 Muscovy ducks gone during day...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can put up all the links you want. I have WATCHED an eagle carry off an 8 or 9 lb jackrabbit, three golden eagles take down an adult antelope (but not carry it off), etc. I don't care what a research project or web page says. I go by what I see.

Also, careful reading will indicate I did not say the eagle could have carried off the duck. I asked if anyone knew if when a hawk or eagle snagged a duck or chicken did it actually carry it very far? I noted that this it is not common for these birds to carry the prey very far after snagging it.

Both myself and the commenter Horsesandboots have clearly indicated we did not think the muscovy ducks that disappeared were taken by a predator since predators rarely take two animals at once and leave no trace. It seemed more likely the ducks flew away. The remainer of the discussion was concerning anyone with experiences involving hawks and chickens or dogs or ducks. I was asking for actual observations, not research studies and links. Again, I tend to believe what someone as actually seen rather than information that may have been based entirely on laboratory observations. If you have actually observed a hawk grabbing a chicken or dog, I want to know how far the eagle actually carried it. It's that simple.

My guess is a hawk!
hawks don't carry off birds to eat them, they eat them where they grab them.

Eagles carry off good sized prey items (though not very far, as previously stated). Hawks will also carry smaller prey to a more secure place to eat the head/neck/breast area.

I say either dogs or they flew away (but this I find a bit hard to believe since they know where "home" is)

Maybe a 2 legged predator

I didn't actually read the fuss just saw part about bald eagles..

I've worked for two different raptor rehab places, as well as other raptor private licensed facilities, and was a first year falconer. I've seen a young bald eagle eat after catching a ringneck dove, seen them kill mute swan, seen them hop carry off roadkill, seen two golden eagle kill deer antelope sheep goats calves foals/ colts, hop carrying off all but colts. I've seen great horned owl pairs kill deer etc in harsh northern winters for food. a lot of sights go off general DNR etc info, but to be listed these places need so many constant accounts of something, and that's if they even record or careat all.
House cats can attack and drive off bears, but that doesn't meaan you'll easily find the many accounts of online.

A bald eagle can lift at least half its weight and they weigh 8 to 15 pounds.  Part of the "confusion" here is how much can they pick up versus how much can they carry off.  I have seen bald eagles haul off 7 or 8 lb jackrabbits.  They don't fly far with them—once the prey is dead, they just drop down and eat it on the ground.

Weight lifted also depends on the wind.  With more lift, they can grab and carry off large prey.  Again, they don't fly miles with it, just far enough to land and finish it off.

With that being said. I have watched hawks/ospreys pick up 10 lb catfish straight out of my pond. I'm sure they have snagged a few more that were bigger! It flew over a half acre without dropping it.

Still wondering what happened to this duck!!

I stand corrected! It must have been a full grown eagle pullet that took Critters' two muscovy ducks! If one can carry a hobbit, then it is easily the handle 15 -18lbs of ducks. (Can someone guess the weight of the hobbit? Apparently, there are a few carnival workers on this thread that are good at that). Or maybe it could be an osprey pullet since they apparently can carry more than twice their weight...

I once saw a picture of some dogs playing poker (I did, I saw it!) - maybe a german shepherd lost the ducks in a bet.

I stand corrected! It must have been a full grown eagle pullet that took Critters' two muscovy ducks! If one can carry a hobbit, then it is easily the handle 15 -18lbs of ducks. (Can someone guess the weight of the hobbit? Apparently, there are a few carnival workers on this thread that are good at that). Or maybe it could be an osprey pullet since they apparently can carry more than twice their weight... I once saw a picture of some dogs playing poker (I did, I saw it!) - maybe a german shepherd lost the ducks in a bet.
All I have to say is how ignorant!

I stand corrected! It must have been a full grown eagle pullet that took Critters' two muscovy ducks! If one can carry a hobbit, then it is easily the handle 15 -18lbs of ducks. (Can someone guess the weight of the hobbit? Apparently, there are a few carnival workers on this thread that are good at that). Or maybe it could be an osprey pullet since they apparently can carry more than twice their weight... I once saw a picture of some dogs playing poker (I did, I saw it!) - maybe a german shepherd lost the ducks in a bet.
oh my gosh! I laughed so hard! I'd say a hobbit probably ranges in the 24-75 pound range.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom