2 mystery deaths

luckychick105

Songster
6 Years
May 4, 2017
Ireland
We got four RIRs a couple of months ago, they had pretty much stopped laying and we were just getting them to be companions for our last hen who was the sole survivor of a fox attack. I went to feed them and collect any eggs that might have been laid, and one of them was missing so I had a look in the coup and she was there lying on the ground dead... nearly two weeks ago the same thing happened to one of them, but I put it off to old age. There were no symptoms, yesterday she was out and about, not lethargic, or gasping or anything else unusual. could it just be old age?

We got four RIRs a couple of months ago, they had pretty much stopped laying and we were just getting them to be companions for our last hen who was the sole survivor of a fox attack. I went to feed them and collect any eggs that might have been laid, and one of them was missing so I had a look in the coup and she was there lying on the ground dead... nearly two weeks ago the same thing happened to one of them, but I put it off to old age. There were no symptoms, yesterday she was out and about, not lethargic, or gasping or anything else unusual. could it just be old age?
I"m sorry for your loss:hugs

A lot of times it's very hard to know the cause of death without further testing/necropsy, there's so many things that can go wrong.
It's purely speculation on my part, but if they were ExBatts, then the chances of them both dying from reproductive issues would be pretty high.

I"m sorry for your loss:hugs

A lot of times it's very hard to know the cause of death without further testing/necropsy, there's so many things that can go wrong.
It's purely speculation on my part, but if they were ExBatts, then the chances of them both dying from reproductive issues would be pretty high.
Thank you, hopefully, none of the others will die.

Back
Top Bottom