2 new chicks 1 adult What to do?

chickbuddy

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 23, 2009
Los Angeles
Hello everyone, I have two chicks that are buff orps, 4 weeks old now and 1 Adult female Barred Rock(around 10 months old) We use to have two but now she is left alone (her friend we think was egg bound) so we decided to buy two for her. (2 was the minimal amount, could not get just 1)

My question is when should the introducing begin? I feel if I wait untill the chicks are almost the same size they will easily just gang up on the lonely one. Should I introduce them sooner? Thank you for your time.

Definately! The youngsters need to be introduced ASAP and it needs to be done in a dog crate or something similar where they are in a cage and the BR is loose for a couple reasons. One it protects the small ones just in case she doesn't want company and two it makes the two learn that this big area Belongs to BR and they hopefully will fall in behind her in the pecking order.

Do this for about a week every day, then you can place the young ones on the roost one night on the first day of your weekend and let them wake up together on the roost in the morning. This way they already are very familiar with each others looks and smells. Also, be sure the babies are learning to roost by placing something inside their brooder that resembles the roost bar in the coop.

PS 3 or more is a good number for all the time.

Last edited:
Quote:
Thank You SussexInSeattle

Questions:

Should I place the chicks in their cage inside the coop? or just place the cage with them inside on the grass where the BR free ranges? I did read at the BYC How to Page that method of putting the chick-n-hutch inside in the coop is used, but think this is a different situation since it's a 2 vs 1 deal.

If so, how long do I leave the chicks in their cage inside the coop?

How long should the introducing session be? Until The BR just walks away and goes back to her daily free ranging?

Thanks again!

Last edited:
I think if it's not too much trouble, I would do both. If it is too difficult to haul around, just let them meet in the grass. If you put it in the coop and she takes off outside, then they can't get aquainted anyway. I would only do it when I was home to observe and I would observe both outside standing by (Or sitting is easier)and from inside from a window to see if reactions change. You really won't be able to stop them when they try to figure out who is the leader, you just want to buffer the severity by making them get aquainted so it's not so shocking.

If the weather holds nice, then put them out as long as it's light and you feel they are safe. I'm sure the babies would love a chance to munch on some grass too. It also gives your brooder a break from collecting all that manure. You could make their pen like a little tractor and move it all over the area that your BR roams in so they can get at different grass each time.

Quote:
Thank you so much!

I will keep you posted on the feisty babies and the gentle sweet lonely one.

Last edited:
As you ask more questions, it would be a good idea to go into your profile and put in your location so that people replying can get an idea of the weather you are up against. Weather plays a big factor with most chicken subjects.

Ok thank you, the weather hasen't been the greatest, I live in Southern CA, LA. It has been very cold windy and wont settle down in about 2 days.

Last edited:
Same here, seems like winter just won't let go this year! The Rhodies already bloomed and then got snowed on! So my Barnevelder just goes around plucking the flowers off the bottom of the bush and spitting them out. I think she is protesting the nasty weather and taking it out on the pink flowers!

She's actually very beautiful and very thick! She seems shy when I throw treats but if it's something she can't resist she will find her spot. She is never a bully though, even though I think she is my heaviest.

Actually a much younger Buff Orpington is the bossiest but she does have to take a back seat to the Blue Andalusian who is oldest at 1 yr (and smallest!) and then the Gold Sex link who is 10 months along with the Brahma.

Brahma just does not recognize her powers. She could bowl over any one of them at any time, she just never exerts herself in that way. All the rest are just 6 months. But that B.Orp. came as a chick real bossy and pecky and I even trimmed her beak back as a chick because she wouldn't check herself. I was so shocked at her attitude because I chose that breed specifically for their reputation as peaceful birds.

It's very interesting that they are born with personalities like little humans and they tend to hold their youthful temperaments into adulthood.

Back
Top Bottom