2 new ducklings

LindaNJoshsZoo

Hatching
May 6, 2015

Does anyone have any ideas of what my newest additions could be? I went to the feed store today to pick up some other things and walked out with two ducklings that needed some TLC. The kids at the store had no idea what they were or how old they were? Any thoughts?

They are so cute. It sounds like you did the same thing as I did. I made a quick stop into tractor supply last Friday and came out with 2 cute little ducklings. I wish I could help, but good luck. :)

Black one looks like my Cayuga looked as a baby... Here's a baby picture of him

And here's a recent picture

It's hard to catch on camera but he's got a really pretty green shimmer

Yeah, I think the black one is a Cayuga as well. But it could also be a Black Swedish! Only time will tell once the adult feathers come in. They sure are cute, though! :)

Here you can see the lighter colored one better! My chickens do not love them, but the ducklings are pretty smart. They both made a bee-line for the pond and jumped in when the chickens tried to corner them. Unfortunately for me I may as well have jumped in to get them I was so wet when I got them out to towel dry them. They both have similar markings, just that one is black with a pale yellow chest and the other is more gray/muted with the yellow chest. The store I got them at had kids caring for them in a sad manner and I just couldn't leave them. There was a dead chick in the cage below them. I have been reading and trying to learn what I could from this site and a few other suggestions I rec'd from a friend in the local 4-H. @Amiga do you have any food recommendations. The store said to given them the same feed as my chickens, but the ducklings do not seem to like or know how to eat the pellets. I crushed them up a little and made them damp, but they still turn their beaks up at them. They are drinking fine and I tore up some dandelion leaves in their water which they have been playing with, but is their a brand or style you have found that works better?

Perhaps then a Black Swedish and a Blue Swedish. They are lovely!

Hmmmm. My duckies were happy with the turkey-waterfowl crumbles I gave them. So happy, in fact, they decorated their brooder and each other with it…..
gig.gif

Ahem.

Well, try making a mash with it and offering it on your finger.

Some folks here get worried when I suggest moistening the food because they worry about mold. My eleven Runners ate everything so quickly that often there was no time for mold to grow, and I did clean out the brooder multiple times a day, always giving the sniff test...

Can you show me their food bowl with a photo?

Back
Top Bottom