2 of my 7 Rhode island red hens LOOSING FEATHERS on there neck.. ONLY 7 MONTHS OLD?! Please help!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chickproblems77, Oct 17, 2012.

1. Chickproblems77

Chickproblems77 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2012
    my 7 month old Rhode island red hens are loosing feathers on there neck...i have 1

rooster but i have not got an egg in 1 month and a half??!! My mom and dad want to

get rid of all of them, please help i dont want to kill them...i thought moult but they are

only 7 months old...i am in southern indiana so mild climate but its cooling down.

Food and water are in plenty. for 2 months i had ducks with them but 10 days ago i

removed the ducks because of the stop of production... i spray it out daily...any

suggestions?? PLEASE HELP!!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Decreased daylength and a molt are probably the cause of the stop in egg laying. It is a routine occurrence this time of year. 12 to 14 hours of daylight are generally required for optimum egg production. They will resume laying in the spring and such young hens should be daily producers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by