2 Of my chickens would not go in the coop?

Couture Family

In the Brooder
6 Years
Nov 2, 2013
Tampa Florida (Tropical Climate)
I went out to close the coop hatch (like every night) and to my surprise I found two of my girls (the smallest) sitting on the perch in the run. They've never done that before? And last night when I went to close them in one of them was hanging out at the door sticking her head out as if she was going to come back out? Normally soon as it gets dark they go in and roost inside the coop.

I've read other post about the same thing but I don't have any of the problems suggested. No mites (that I can see) They have DE in the coop. Plus two of the girls were already in ready for bed. There are no rats or anything. Nothing can get into their coop. Its like Fort Knox in there. They have fresh water and the coop is clean.

As for being too hot? Well it's our winter here in Florida and the thermometer says it's 60* in there. So no mites, can't be hot, and we don't have any bullying roosters (we don't have any roosters). I had to go in and put them in. They were going to sleep on the perch in the run? So what could have happened? Should I be worried?

Welcome to BYC. My younger pullets will act that way if there are older hens who intimidate them. They will always come inside last until they are older and higher in the pecking order. I have actually watched the older girls stand in the doorway just waiting for them, LOL. Always make sure there is a light on inside the coop for them to want to come inside when it is getting dark, then put it on atimer to go off shortly after dark.

Hm? You think I should use a light? They've been going in by themselves for months now.

As for the bigger girls, it was actually one of the bigger girls who had her head stuck out last night as if she didn't want to go in. And normally the bully is my smallest one believe it or not. The biggest girl is the most docile and she never picks on anyone.

It's the weirdest thing. The two that always pick on each other (the smallest two) were the ones who were hugged up together on the perch in the run not wanting to go inside. Any other thoughts?

Sometimes all of my chickens (especially the youngers) won't go into a dark coop when it is getting dusk, but if my light is on they always go inside when it is getting dark. Not everyone uses a light or a timer in the coop--everyone does things differently. This is what works for mine.

Is the roost in the run higher than the one in the coop? They like to be as high up as they can so it could be that. In the summer mine will go and try to sleep ontop of the coop instead of inside. I dont really get why besides they like to be high up. Maybe if you took the roost in the run away they would go inside for the night. This wont always work but if they are all in there eating or something just close the door to the run early so they cant get back out. It will save you the hassle of trying to get them to go in when its dark out. Try to break the habit soon or it will become an every night thing. Im not sure how you can do that but hope the bit about the roost helps. Good luck!

So I actually figured it out. We put a new thermometer in the coop to make sure they weren't too cold (it's our cold season) and the cord was freaking them out. So they wouldn't go in until they figured out it was not the boogie man. So all is well now. Thank you for the response and for trying to help out.

Now, when will I see eggs? :)

Back
Top Bottom