2 out 8 chickens laying, others need to come with the program!! lol!

beckycrouch5115

Chirping
Jun 28, 2015
Louisiana
about 3 weeks ago I found my first 2 eggs from my RIRs. Then I would find only 1 for awhile, occasionally 2. In the last week i've had pretty consistently 2 eggs. The other 6 RIR are the same age as the ones laying. Almost all of them are doing the "squat" thing. Wish they would come on already! lol! It's weird how long it's taking them from the other RIR when they are all the same age! Then I have one leghorn which is 2 weeks younger then the rest so I guess she'll be awhile. Anybody else have a new flock with that much variation is laying?

The 3 squatters squat when I reach out to pet them or when they are cornered. They get super stiff. It's so cute!!

about 3 weeks ago I found my first 2 eggs from my RIRs. Then I would find only 1 for awhile, occasionally 2. In the last week i've had pretty consistently 2 eggs. The other 6 RIR are the same age as the ones laying. Almost all of them are doing the "squat" thing. Wish they would come on already! lol! It's weird how long it's taking them from the other RIR when they are all the same age! Then I have one leghorn which is 2 weeks younger then the rest so I guess she'll be awhile. Anybody else have a new flock with that much variation is laying?
Flocks can have a huge variation in age of starting to lay. Months even, and that is normal. I have some olive eggers, a week less than five months old and I keep hoping to find an olive egg any day now. Their combs have reddened up so maybe....soon....Their mothers started laying between five months and at over 8 months.
I also have some bantams, all the same age and gotten at the same time and one of them has a nice red comb, one is a darker pink and the others are still very pale so I'm hoping to find my first bantam egg too. Not that I'm inpatient or anything.
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom