2 part question: oxine and pests

goldeneggtees

Fluffy Butt Nut
10 Years
Mar 11, 2009
Long Island, NY
Hi, I ordered some Oxine online to clean out an old chicken coop that was part of an old house we recently purchased. We are cleaning it in anticipation of getting our new chicks April 3. We will transfer them from their heated container in the basement up into the coop when they are feathered and ready.

This is my question: do I have to "activate" the Oxine or does it work as is from the bottle? The directions are not all that clear. I know once activated the solution is a more serious compound and that I have to or should wear a mask when applying it to the surfaces of the coop. So in all honesty, I'd rather not do that. But don't want to waste time doing something that won't even disinfect the enclosure.

And on another note, I am seriously wondering how I will keep pests out of the coop. I just saw a huge raccoon that ran under the coop this morning. And I'm pretty sure there are foxes and most likely rats living around here. Almost seems impossible to keep them all out. I will plug up any holes I see in the coop itself but I know all of these animals are tenacious and will be on the lookout for chicken feed and or the actual chickens.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I'm unable to give you any info on the oxine, but I'd like to help on your predator question.

The coop itself should be strong enough, tight enough, and secure enough that if you wanted to, you couldn't get your paw in as a raccoon, head in as a rat, nor pull it apart with your human strength. Predators are strong, wily, and determined!

You need to get fresh wood for any wood rot- poke around it with a screwdriver to find out how the condition of the wood is. If you have a raccoon UNDER it, you need to think about whether you can close off that area, pile rocks around the foundation, etc.

If you have gaps, you need to rebuild those areas and use hardware cloth with 1/2" holes (no bigger!) to line any windows- screen is like nothing to predators.

If you could start a new thread in the coops section with some pictures, we'd all be delighted to help you prepare!

Cheers, and welcome to BYC!

I have been treating my coop with oxine to disinfect after a virus. The instructions I received from the chicken doctor were to mix the oxine with water. I belive it is 6.5 ounces of oxide to one gallon of water.

Good luck!

It's not necesary to activate it for home use (they use the activated oxine for Bird Flu - way too overkill for home backyard coops, IMO).

I just mix mine 6.5 oz to a gallon of water in a 1 gallon sized Weed Sprayer I got at Lowes for 13 bucks. Works great.

meri

First thing I thought of when I saw your pics was Napoleon Dynamite's voice: "Luh-keeeee!"

I'm so envious!! It's wonderful!

I would definitely plant something outside your run that can offer cover if the unseen areas don't have any, but it looks like a tallish chain-link, so if you get heavies you won't have to worry about them going over- we trim our girls' wings because we just have a 4' chain link.

The only other thought is that you ought to close the gap under the coop by using cinder blocks or large stones- I'd vote stones, but I like the way rocks look!

You may also start thinking about how you'll help them stay warm in the winter, as that large airspace in the coop won't be something the birds can warm with their own body heat like birds in small coops would be able to.

It looks great, and I'm sure you'll have lots of fun!

Hi Renee, thanks! Glad you liked the coop, it's pretty freakin' awesome! :–) We just watched Napoleon last night! :–) My son is a huge fan and even dressed as him for Halloween. It was hysterical. Check him out… http://s699.photobucket.com/albums/vv355/howlinggood/

I
hand painted his shirt.
smile.png

The ladies will be buff orpingtons, they are a big breed from what I've read. Hopefully the fence is high enough, I will go measure and see. Is it hard to clip their wings?

As far as the stone idea goes, do you mean I should put something in the run so they will be safe from hawks? Like some sort of area within that they can escape to? Or around the outside of the coop so predators can't get underneath? I will keep the run door open to them when they are out.

I'm thinking about a heat lamp for the winter, what temp does it have to get to outside before I turn it on? I can also work on insulating it, making sure to cover up the insulation with plywood so they don't peck at it. That of course would prove to be a little expensive since it is a big area. I bet the man who used to keep chickens and ducks here had so many he didn't worry about keeping them warm. There were probably enough of them that it wasn't a concern. He kept and bred araucanas and some breed of duck.

Back
Top Bottom