2 questions about chick booties.....hoping for timely advice if age is important

EatOrganicWeeds

Hatching
7 Years
Apr 29, 2012
This concerns an EE chick hatched on Friday, may 25th. She seems healthy and strong but has severely curled toes on the left foot...she seems to get around the brooder fine, but is essentially walking on her ankle on that side.

The other foot still has one toe curled in, but I've watched it get better by the hour. At first I thought I'd have to put booties on both feet, but now I'm thinking the right foot might not need it.

So, that's my first question: is it ok to boot one foot and not the other?

second question: how long can I wait to do this? Is it a case of 'the younger the better' or should I wait till she's a few days older and better able to take the stress?

Also, trying to figure out the mechanics of handling little bits of cardboard, sticky tape, and a struggling chick....this is a job for three hands, right?
Have others who have done this had another person to hold the chick still? is there a way for one person to do this without help?

OK, I guess that's 3 questions.

Any tips appreciated!

thanks,
Karen

Try doing a search on chick shoes. Or a search on curled toes. Those searches should give you somewhere to start from. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Back
Top Bottom